Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Midtown lullaby

I skipped out of work at lunchtime to walk to Bryant Park and bask in the sun.  As I strolled down the sidewalk, I heard gorgeous notes floating through the air.  They were coming out a building I had never noticed, on the opposite side of the street.

I stopped by on my way back from lunch, and was ushered into the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office for New York.  A large airy hall greeted those just walking in, and I sat down to enjoy the rest of the trombone concert.

I know-- I've never been to a trombone concert, either.

It was a memorial concert for Tien-Ron Yu, "Pioneer of the Trombonist".  His student, Jack Tzu Yang Chou, was the young man who carried the show.  In the program, he wrote:

"This concert is dedicated to my 1st Trombone teacher Mr. Yu (former Bass Trombone in Taipei Sympony).  He passed away on Feb 19, 2010, age of 56. He had dedicated his life on teaching. Mr Yu not only taught me trombone, but also taught all his students to be a great musician and great person. Because of him, I love playing trombone and love playing music. Without him, I won't be here today. I miss him very much. May Prof. Yu rest in peace."

Professor Yu would have been proud.  It was a beautiful concert, and the first time I had really considered the trombone as a solo instrument.  It was also a simple and lovely moment-- so unexpected and peaceful.  The Taipei center advertised its free Wednesday mid-day concerts, and I will definitely return.

No comments:

Post a Comment